Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Eric

Now that I have had a little more time to get used to the idea of Eric joining the Marines, I'll give you a little more info. May 18 he will go to San Diego for Boot Camp (Mom, plan on going to Graduation where he goes from a 'recruit' to a Marine). He can only write and receive letters and the only phone call is to let us know he has arrived. After that, he has 13 weeks of nothing but training. He will complete infantry training then go to Quantico for training for a security detail program. After he passes all the FBI clearances, etc. he will be one of the Marines who guards the president, visiting dignitaries, etc. He's excited and thinks this will be interesting. I think he will be bored if he's just standing around all the time but I am sure there are lots of things that I don't know about it. He will enter as a private first class (after boot camp) instead a just a private. I think this is just because he has a college degree but I'm not sure. Supposedly, the security detail is a coveted position. He keeps mentioning the president when he talks about it so I do not know if that is the area they specifically want him for or if that is an example of what he could do. I think they use them at all the embassies, as couriers, and to guard the higher ups.
For those interested, you can find info about everything at www.recruitparents.com. They have a booklet that details what they will be doing a boot camp every day and things we can do to support them, etc. On the left of the main screen, there is a section that tells all about what he will be doing. He is not considered a marine until he completes basic training. Now he is a "poolie", as in a pool of possible Marines. After that, www.marineparents.com has info on deployments, etc. so you can track them online.
I'm sure we will learn a lot more as we near May.

2 comments:

J.B. said...

i just watched on the Military channel a one hour show on Marine Boot camp at Paris Island. i can see Eric excelling in this program. i thinks this is great and have him check on the family plan for wes.

Karen said...

We are all so proud of Eric! The Marines will be very lucky to have him. Know that we will support him in any/all ways that we can.