Monday, September 7, 2009

Update

I'll try this again. Sorry, I must have hit the wrong key.

Eric is actually having fun at Camp Pendleton. They are training as riflemen,which means they get to shoot guns ALOT. They have been in the field the last week (M-F) and learning to use the scopes, night vision goggles, etc. Eric kind of likes that. So far. He has been off the last 2 weekends & with the Labor Day holiday, he was off 4 days. So basically, he has been off almost as much as he has been there. He's actually had 7-8 days of training and 6 days off. The only bad thing about being off is sometimes they have to go back for an hour or two for guard duty or firewatch. This past weekend, he and 2 of his friends, met Jill in San Diego. He had to go back to base on Sunday night for firewatch from 0100-0200. He said it took him 2 hours to get back to base on the bus. And of course, he went back to San Diego when he was done. He can receive mail and packages now. The only caution is if you send food, he has to eat it all then (or share it). The Instructors don't want any ants visiting.
His address is:
PFC Williams, Eric M
Bravo Co 1st Platoon
ITB, SOI
PSC Box 555061
Camp Pendleton, CA 92055-5081

I had him check his address because the SOI website had something different. He said this is it. The platoon number might change later.
(Don't know why)
He did tell me to tell everyone that " I miss them and love them."
So consider yourself told.

He graduates from the School of Infantry on Nov 2. This ceremony is very low key and most families don't go. Immediately after the ceremony, they have to go to the school of whatever they will be doing. In Eric's case, that is the Security Forces School in Virginia.
He still says he wants to go to OCS but does not know who to talk to and when to mention it. I'm sure he'll figure it out. He was hoping he could change his enlistment from 5 years to 4 if he goes to OCS, but I have been hearing that almost all Marine Corps is 5 years.
I don't know when his next leave is or when we will see him again. I think a road trip to Virginia is in the near future.

5 comments:

Pops & Tutu said...

Thanks for the news.

David said...

Road Trip??? that's my middle name......let me know...

Karen said...

Thanks for the update!

Angela said...

Road trip.. just tell me when and where and I'm there!

Laura Williams said...

I like roadtrips. And have lots of free time lately...