Friday, August 26, 2011

Virginia - such a swell place to be!

Well it's been just over a month in our new place and so far, so good! When we moved in, we bought insurance for our apartment through USAA and have been just dying to make a claim, so this has been a pretty good week in Hampton. We had the earthquake on Tuesday of course, but that didn't do much except scare Virginians out of their minds (you should have seen how panicked everyone was when it snowed 4" here in 2010!). Now Irene is aiming to pick up the quake's slack and really do a number around here, with the rain projected to start tonight and actually 'hit' the Hampton Roads area early Sunday morning with 100 mph winds. Jill and Ledger are still in Chicagoland until Monday, which is probably not a bad thing, although no evacuation order has been given for this particular area yet.

Luckily my line of work lends itself to preparing for emergencies and dire situations, so I was "able to get" plenty of flashlight batteries, chem-lights, and canteens of water in case things get interesting around here. Sadly I anticipate only being able to watch one, MAYBE two movies (if they're short) on my laptop battery before it runs out in the event of power loss. And as far as DVRing anything good on TV this weekend, I've already forgotten about that one. I do have plenty of batteries for my iPod speakers, however.

Today I'm going to finish out the prep work, which should have been done a couple days ago but I was working at the shipyard until last night. This will include topping off the car with gas, reinforcing the windows in the apartment with duct tape, moving our deck furniture, running the dishwasher and washing machine so I don't have to live in filth if the water supply is disrupted, and putting some beer on ice. Nothing too extraordinary there I guess. Once all that's done I'll just get the guitar handy and watch the storm roll in!

Stay tuned for more!

3 comments:

Pops & Tutu said...

Thanks for the info. Hoping the best for the area. I will be waiting to hear more about your experiences. Love

Laura Williams said...

Eric, one other thing you should do: (Remember when I worked on a grant with IDHS about disaster preparedness? Or toured the Gulf post-Katrina? I picked up a few genius tips while there.)

Fill every tupperware/plastic container you can with water, put them in the freezer. If the power goes out, put those (and everything else perishable) into your fridge for an instant, large cooler. It'll keep for awhile (maybe a couple of days) if the power goes out.

I might have a couple more up my sleeve, but you've probably heard them by now in all the media hype. (But call me if you have questions!) I'm a little jealous -- we're promised at best some tropical-storminess, probably not even any power outages.

Watch out for sharks!

Unknown said...

Sounds like your ready for an adventure