

As I'm approaching the end of my time off, I've been reflecting on how I've used these days away from school. I've concluded that I really am a Betty Crocker/Martha Stewart wanna-be, putting my creative energies into goodies from the kitchen and numerous crafty-type projects. What do I have to show for my time? I can honestly say I've almost mastered authentic Swedish butter cookies (just like my mom's friend Doris used to make) and made my own pasta (yes, the noodles - fettuccine, spaghetti, and ravioli with wild mushroom stuffing). I've loved having time to read things I want to read ( Love in the Time of Cholera and A Thousand Splendid Suns being the latest two), not just 6th graders' writing.
I've had plenty of time to think, reflect on the past, and give thanks. As much as I've savored all these little moments, today I was flooded with special memories. I was going through Christmas decorations and I happened upon the special ornaments that Pops and Tutu have given the kids over the years. Now for the past four or five years, these have gone on the "family" tree along with many other unique decorations we've collected. While unwrapping them from the tissue paper softened with years, I had the brainstorm to put up the little trees that Mitch and Megan used to love having in their rooms. Somehow these last few years have been so busy, we've never gotten around to it. Not this year! Thankful for the gift of time, I spent most of the day brushing off the little tree boxes, shaping branches, and enjoying the memories associated with each year's ornament. My decorating wasn't complete until I wrapped a Granny quilt around the base of each of their trees.
Thanks, Pops and Tutu (and everyone else), for so many special Christmas memories. Let's make this year another one to remember!
3 comments:
Gee, that post got me.... what a thoughtful entry, Karen. And, we are all so very blessed, aren't we? Hannah and I had lunch today and reflected on that very thing.
what a nice post, Karen - so true and eloquently written - sometimes we tend to get so caught up in "doing life" that we forget how special it is!
I'm just finishing Love in the Time of Cholera now -- in between econ and game theory reading, anyway. It's wonderful. I'm jealous of your time with books!!
Post a Comment