Eric has finally found out his future plans (sort of) with the USMC.
He should finish his current class just before Christmas, so he plans to spend 5 days in IN and then 5 days in Chicago!! Then,he has to report to his new duty station at Camp Pendleton, California by Feb 1, 2012.
That's right, Eric and Jill are moving to sunny southern California! He will be assigned to the Dark Horse Battalion or the 3/5. This group is an infantry battalion that lost the most members in Afghanistan of any other group in the last 10 years. Luckily, when Eric joins, their assignment will be a little different. In August 2012, he will be deployed (for the last time, hopefully) as part of a Marine Expeditonary Unit (MEU) in the western Pacific. Their main job is to be available if needed in that part of the world. Pray that it will be only humanitarian, not war.
We are hopeful that since this group suffered such losses, they will be kept from more fighting unless absolutely necessary. There are several videos, stories, etc about this group on the internet if anyone wants to read about their past.
Eric and Jill plan to DRIVE all their possessions cross country. The marines will pay for the move and Eric and Jill will be reimbursed. They expect 5 days on the road. Personally, I can't imagine this, but I know it's probably been done many times. I guess I'm getting too old to see the adventure in it. But, maybe with a motor home.............
Anyway, Eric will be gone 8-9 months, then he will only have 1 year left!!!!!
I want to rent a house out there next summer and am interested in who all would like to come. I want to get an idea of how big a house we will need.. I was thinking maybe June or July since Eric will be leaving in August. Let me know ASAP so I can find a house.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanks for putting this on the blog. Count me in for a trip west...
I'm always in for a trip! Sounds like a good plan.
Best of luck to Eric on the move! Here's to going where the wind blows you!
Post a Comment