Saturday, November 19, 2011

You heard right!

Well I know Mom beat me to the punch on this one, but I'll go ahead and throw in my two cents anyways. But, just so you know, all that was said is pretty accurate, so I'll try not to repeat too much.

As she said, I'll be heading to 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division in Camp Pendleton, CA. Most often you'll find it written "3/5" (which is said as "three five"). So if you ever hear anyone talking about Marines and they say two numbers like that (e.g. "one two", "three nine", "one six", etc) they're talking about the battalion and regiment they're from. Currently there are 27 battalions of infantry Marines on active duty, but plans are already in effect for downsizing over the next couple years.

Their nickname Darkhorse comes from a former call sign for the unit. It used to be Consummate Professionals, but that changed in 2005 when a Marine who commanded the unit while that was their call sign passed away, so the name was changed to honor him. Their motto Get Some was coined during Vietnam. The insignia has three fleurs-de-lis in the top right to represent fighting in Belleau Wood in WWI, and five bamboo canes to represent fighting in Vietnam.

Jill, Ledger and I will be back in Indiana and Illinois over Christmas/New Year's, and will also be around for some time in January, too. We're looking into taking a house-hunting trip to CA for a few days in January so we can find a solid place to spend the next 2+ years.

Anyways, I don't want to keep rehashing all that was said, so let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to fill you in! We can't wait to see everyone next month!!!

5 comments:

Angela said...

We will all look forward to visiting you and Jill in southern California... and seeing you both in a few weeks.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to subsequent posts!

Pops & Tutu said...

Keep the updates coming. Love to hear from you!!

Pops & Tutu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...

looking forward to partying w/ my ex-tailgaters...I was always impressed that you were the first to arrive & help set up..most likely you were like me & just on your way home from a late night study session & wanted to lend a hand....much appreciated...