Friday, October 3, 2008

Days Like This Make Teaching Worthwhile




Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.
- James M. Barrie

I am so proud of my class that I just had to share this with everyone! Today we held a fundraiser to raise money for the family of a sixth grade student. The boy has leukemia and although it is in remission, problems with medications and side effects are requiring the family to make many trips back and forth to Riley Children's Hospital. Although the young man is only able to come to school a day or so each week, his classmates have rallied around him and wanted to do something to help. Our class took their turn today with a baked potato bar for Throop staff members. My kids chose to call our event Taters -n- Toppings. We took reservations ahead of time (just so we would have an idea how many to fix) and today we served about 70 adults and 25 students. We made it a give-as-you-can type of donation, and guess how much we raised? You won't believe it! With 50 lbs. of potatoes donated by Wal-Mart, all the toppings donated by the kids, work provided by the students, and very generous donations by our staff, we raised $572.00! As always, the good people in our small community really pull together when someone needs help. It's times like these that warm the heart and make us realize why we chose to teach in the first place!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

that is AWESOME!! I got all teary-eyed when I read it....(I know that's not too surprising! Need to up my meds!)

Angela said...

Wow - what a tremendous lesson for everyone, esp the kids that will "give forward" as a result!

Pops & Tutu said...

People want to do good..They just need leaders. Thanks for being that leader.