This is a view from the cave where Mary Magdalene supposedly lived. She arrived in Marsailles via boat after fleeing Palestine and made her way here. Why she picked a cave half way up a mountain top, I'll never understand. Pilgrims would walk up the hill on their knees-I barely made it on my feet.

A group of monks took over in the early 5th century and turned the cave into a chapel. Since then it has been taken care of by several different orders. At the bottom of the hill is a hostel run by nuns for the pilgrims to stay in. Also the always present gift shop and restaurant.
(I would have much rather seen the cave as it was when Mary was here.)

I can't remember which little town this was but I liked the idea that they just carve everything out of the rock. Most of the rock is limestone.

This is an actual street in one of the villages. Often, someone had to back up to let another car pass. Buses and tourists had to park outside of most of the small towns.

One of the oldest and best preserved monuments is this Roman Aquaduct. I have seen it several times in pictures but never realized how huge it is.
It was built between 38-52 AD and has more than 50,000 tons of stone. To get an idea how large it is, notice the people walking on the lower walkway. You can barely see them.
No comments:
Post a Comment